- Tips to make a Python Developer Resume
- What are the must have skills for a Python developer
- How to learn Python?
- Creating your Python developer resume
- Python Resume for freshers
- Python Developer Resume Sample
Tips to Make a Python Developer Resume
Companies are always on the lookout for great Python Developers. The skill requisites for each role depends on the hiring company, number of years of experience, and more such aspects. Before we jump into the key requirements on your Python Developer resume, let us understand the job description.
Who exactly is a Python developer and what does s/he do?
Python Developers are in charge of developing various back-end components that help us connect web applications to web servers. They also write server-side web applications.S/he is responsible for developing, deploying, and debugging a project. Implementation of security, data protection, improving the functionality of existing applications, and coordinating various requirements are additional responsibilities of Python Developers.
Experts in this domain need to have a sound knowledge about Python. If you wish to learn more about the subject, you can take a look at this Python Tutorial for Beginners.
Before learning about the skills required, let us take a look at a few tips, to begin with.
- Use simple vocabulary and shorter sentences
- Try to ensure that your resume is readable and not cluttered with unnecessary information
- Make use of bullet points as opposed to paragraphs
- Ensure that all your skills, work experience, is covered in your resume. It is important to not skip any essential details
- Keep your resume clear and concise
- Check for grammatical errors before you submit your resume
- Proof-read your resume, and get it checked by friends or family members
Must Have Skills for a Python Developer
- You must be familiar with Object Relational Mapper (ORM) libraries
- You need to know Python web frameworks such as Django or Flask
- S/he must be able to integrate multiple data sources and databases into a single system
- It is beneficial if you know server-side languages like Jinja 2, Mako, and more
- Understanding fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Familiarity with event-driven programming in Python
- Must have unit testing and debugging skills
- Good problem solving and analytical skills
- Python packages such as NumPy, Scikit learn
How to Learn Python?
One of the main reasons people would prefer to learn Python is its popularity and ease of learning. It is simpler to learn and is a type of free programming language. Time taken to learn this programming language would depend on which level you would want to achieve and depends on your learning ability.
Start learning Python from the very basics, such as the syntax, key-words, functions and classes, data types, basic coding, and exception handling. You are not required to have advanced programming knowledge, depending on the nature of your work, you can learn skills such as database programming, synchronisation techniques, multithreading, etc.
Also Read: Python Developer Salary in India
Higher-level Python skills include Data Analytics, hands-on experience of various Python libraries such as NumPy and Pandas, image processing, and more. To master these skills, you will require up to a few weeks to learn the basics and longer to implement and experiment with each.
The basic educational qualification to become a successful Python Developer would be a bachelors degree in Computer Science or any related field. A post-graduation and work experience will act as an added advantage.
You can read our blog on the top interview questions for Python. This will give you an idea of how much knowledge you have and what more to work on before going in for your dream job interview.
Creating Your Python Developer Resume
Once you are aware of the skills required, and you have acquired your bachelors or masters degree and are ready to join the workforce, the next step is to ensure that you have your resume ready. As you have already read the basic tips, it is important to ensure that your resume has the following sections-
- Personal Summary – Email address, phone number, GitHub profile, website (if applicable)
- Work Experience
- Projects you’ve worked on
- Educational Qualifications/ Certifications
- Reference (if applicable)
Never downplay your achievements and success, your resume is the best place to showcase your skills as a Python Developer. There’s no need to fill every single part of your document, white space provides the recruiter with a visually appealing resume and could leave a good impression of you. You wouldn’t want your Python resume to look like you’ve learned your skills from a “learn Python in 24 hours” video, it is important to show the recruiter that you have adequate knowledge and have practiced your skills. Additional points to be considered are as follows-
- Add Python frameworks, project management skills and tools within your resume
- Display the scale of work that you have done
- Showcase the quality of code you write
- It is important to customise your resume to the job you’re applying for
- If your resume is tailored to showcase other skills that may not be relevant to the job you are applying for, it’s best to remove such skills and highlight the ones related to Python
- If you have worked on research papers, published your open source projects, ensure to highlight these points
While creating your resume, you can choose between one of two resume formats. The two formats are-
- The reverse chronological order
- The functional layout
The reverse chronological layout showcases your work experience in the form of a timeline and might be the better option to opt for. A functional resume format focuses on your skills but doesn’t tell a story. Depending on the company you are applying for, you can choose the format more suitable for you.
The best way to write your Python Developers Resume summary is to-
- Listing the total years of experience using Python
- Show what work you’ve done with Python (projects/ industry applications)
- Mention any special awards that you have received
- Open source project(s)
If you’re making a shift in career, a summary can prove to be quite impactful.
The right way to include your work experience in your resume is to-
- List all the projects you worked on during your current and past employment
- Which technology stack did you use (languages, frameworks, tools)
- Details regarding how you handled testing/continuous integration/devops
- List the scale of the projects (number of customers, requests per second, LOC, etc.)
- Weather you were responsible for the architecture and team management too
You can change the details in your resume depending on the job requirements such as database modeling and design, or whether it is slightly generic.
Python Resume for Freshers
If you are a fresher, you may not have too many things to showcase, especially in the area of work experience. In this case, you can aim to focus on your projects, certifications, internships, technical skills, and soft skills.
Pro Tip: You must edit and restructure your resume based on the job you are applying for. Accommodate job requirements in your skillset, achievements sections.
Research which company you will be applying for and what exactly their job requirements would look like. As a fresher, some of the skills you can include are as follows-
- Hands-on Python Development
- Problem-solving and reverse engineering skills
- List the Python Frameworks you have worked with
- Understanding of Databases and SQL
- Basics of TLC scripting
- Investigation of new processes, technologies, and tools
- Whether you can contribute to the development and design of app features
Python Developer Resume Sample
Pro Tip: Don’t shy away from giving every detail regarding your work experience and achievements. Flaunt your achievements.
Before applying to any job, you must carefully plan and consider all aspects. Job roles in the field of Python are rapidly growing. Technical skills as well as soft skills are important to highlight in your resume, ensure that you cover all your skills. Including projects that you have worked on and codes you have performed increases your chances of being selected by the recruiter. If you wish to upskill and prepare further, you can enroll with Great Learning’s PG program in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. Remember to showcase your Github profile or your website to showcase projects you have worked on. All the best for your journey with Python.0