- Java Developer Resume Format
- Java Developer Resume Summary/ Objective
- Highlight Your Java Skills
- Quantify Your Achievements
- Java Developer Related Keywords
- Java Developer Resume Sample
Java developers are in huge demand especially in large organizations that use java-based applications extensively. That does not mean that there is no or little scope for java professionals in start-ups or small and medium enterprises. There is a job out there for java developers in different stages of their career and different areas of specialization. But, java development is a competitive field and employers look for strong candidates who have can prove their mettle in different programming languages and software. That is the reason why having a well-written, clear java developer resume is absolutely essential.
This article covers the tips, and how to’s of writing a java developer resume that will differentiate your profile from other candidates.
Tips to Make Your Java Developer Resume
Other suitable formats are:
- Functional Resume: For those who have a strong knowledge of java but do not have considerable experience in the field. A functional resume focuses more on skills, academics, certifications, and projects.
- Combination Resume: A combination resume contains elements from both the functional and the reverse-chronological format. It is for the candidates that have a wealth of experience to support their skills.
Here are some pointers to maintain the layout of a good java developer resume:
- One-inch margins on all four sides
- The font of choice should be a professional style that stands out
- The font size should be 11-12 point for normal text and 14-16 point for headers
- The line spacing should be 1.0 or 1.15
- Try to limit the length of the resume to one page
Java Developer Summary/ Objective
Recruiters spend less than 6 seconds browsing through a resume. This is because they usually have hundreds of resumes to surf through. Therefore, the first few lines of your resume need to make a mark and grab the attention of the recruiter. For this, the resume objective or the summary needs to be precise and effective.
Although the two might look the same, the resume summary and objective are slightly different. A resume summary is a 2-4 sentence paragraph that summarizes achievements and relevant work experience. On the other hand, A resume objective is a short paragraph stating your skills and outlining your professional aspirations.
If you have relevant experience, the summary is always a better option. Career objective works better for freshers and early professionals.
Java Developer Resume Skills
All employers have a set of skills that they seek in their prospective employees. Therefore, knowing how to write the skills section of the resume is very important. If recruiters do not see the skills they are looking for on your resume, you would end up losing the opportunity of getting an interview call from that particular employer.
To avoid this situation, look at the job description carefully and include all the relevant skills that are needed for the job in your resume. A variety of skills need to be demonstrated on a java developer’s resume, some of these are:
- Java Basics – Spring, JMS, JSF, Struts, XML, Webservices, SOAP
- Java Virtual Machine (JVM)
- Web Development Languages such as CSS, HTML, JQuery
- Oracle 11g
- General Computer Skills
- Time Management Skills
Apart from the technical skills demanded by the role, java developers should also have ae a mix of other hard and soft skills on their resume.
Quantify Your Achievements
Your success as a java developer would be gauged by hard numbers. Therefore, always quantify your achievements with numbers. By providing the data that illustrates your key accomplishments will help the employer to see your capabilities.
This could be done by describing your achievements using a percentage improvement in a process, the number of dollars saved, or the amount of time saved.
Example: “Code quality enhancement to improve the performance of application “xyz”, leading to a 23% reduction in the number of bugs”
Such number-backed achievements demonstrate the impact you could bring into their organization.
Include Java Developer Related Keywords
Here is a list of keywords that the recruiters have their eye on while surfing for the right set of resumes. Also, sometimes the task of sorting resumes is automated and the software used to look for specific keywords to shortlist relevant resumes from a long list. You do not want to miss out just because of some keywords not being present in your otherwise good resume. Based on the job description of the role you are applying for, include these keywords in your java developer resume:
- Computer Science
- Software Development
- Software Engineering
- J2EE Web Services
- Amazon Web Services
- User Interface Design