What is a Career Objective?
A Career Objective or a Resume Objective is essentially a heading statement that describes your professional goals in two-three sentences.
Employers looking to hire an employee for a position tend to seek candidates that are driven enough to understand what they want. Whether you are starting off or set on a particular dream job, it is extremely essential to design an effective objective to stand out.
Employers also look for a few technical skills that you can easily acquire by enrolling to free courses at Great Learning Academy
Career Objectives come in different forms, depending upon the purpose of a resume. They are essentially divided into two broad categories, namely, generic career objectives and specific career objectives. As the names suggest, generic objectives play a role for a wide variety of positions in different fields. On the other hand, specific objects come into play while applying for a specific job that requires specialised skills as per your strengths. Whatever the type, it is essential to understand what is put where while building your resume.
Writing an objective can also prove to be helpful as a personal exercise, they not only help you stay focused, but also assist in understanding your professional potentials.
How to Write a Career Objective?
To write a career objective, it is vital to understand your professional ambitions and goals. While it may take a few years to understand specific objectives, it is always a good idea to write down your aspirations. This is because it is an effective way to grab your recruiters’ attention.
Whether you are starting off, changing careers or are highly experienced, a well-written career objective will prove to your employer that you are just the perfect candidate that they have been waiting for.
Here’s how to write a Career objective for a Resume
- Understand yourself – your goals, your strengths and all your positive traits.
- Begin with a strong trait, then add 2–3 skills, describe your career goals, and explain what you hope to do for the company.
- It is also a good idea to state the position that you are applying to along with the name of the company.
- Avoid beating around the bush, keep it to the point. Either 2–3 sentences or 30–50 words must do the job.
- Avoid first-person pronouns (such as I, or me). For example, if you are an administrative assistant, instead of saying “I coordinated for information management,” a better idea would be to say “Coordinated for information management.”
If you are facing difficulty in writing your objective, try completing the rest of your resume first, and then inculcate some of your strong traits into it.
Career Objectives with No Work Experience
Considering you have never worked full time, or have not attained a higher level of education , you can still write an objective to land your dream job.
Your Career objective Statement will include:
- An extremely strong trait.
- A set of skills.
- Name of the position and the company applied to.
- Value you would add for your employer.
An Example of Career objective in fresher’s Resume
- An organised and motivated employee capable of time management and working under pressure in all environments. Seeking to join Acme Corp as an Administrative Assistant to assist in ensuring good internal communications and budget management.
Entry-level Career Objectives for Fresh Graduates
Here is what your statement will include if you are aiming to enter the workforce after having graduated:
- Lead with your strongest trait.
- Include how your education will assist you well for the job.
- Include your average graduate score if needed.
- Name the position and company applied to.
- Explain your value to the company.
Here is an example,
Extremely motivated English Literature graduate with a 4.2 CGPA, looking to fill the position of a Copywriter Intern at The Hindu. Wishing to use Research skills to help your company generate good quality content.
Career Objectives for Career Change
If you have landed a job, but you are trying to transition into a different industry all together, here is how you would craft your objective:
- Begin with a strong trait.
- Use your current job title to your advantage
- Describe your previous experience to enhance your skills.
- Mention the company’s name and the position you are looking to target.
- Describe how your skills will translate to add value to their
Here is an example,
Diligent customer support representative with over 3 years experience at high-volume call center. Seeking to leverage fast-paced work ethic with top-rated customer service to help DHL grow and meet future demand as the new delivery driver.
Let’s Check the Industry-Specific Career Objectives: Examples
Career Objectives for Business Resume
Project Manager Career Objective should be
- Enthusiastic Junior Project Manager with a proven history of successful work with cross-functional teams. With over 5+ years of work experience at Agile, along with a PMP-Certification, seeking to deliver excellent project management
Marketing Manager Career Objective should be like this
- Performance Marketer with 4+ years of experience at MC Crates. Passionate about KPIs and growing customer base, looking to leverage quantitative measurement and data visualization.
Human Resources Career Objective
- Energetic entry-level Human Resources Specialist seeking to obtain an HR Assistant role at KPMG. Along with event management and employee management organisations, I have also assisted with administration of HR for a mediocre retail company.
Customer Service and Sales Objectives
Career Objective for Customer Service
- Attentive, engaging, and enthusiastic customer service specialist trained in conflict resolution aiming to leverage interpersonal and communicative skills to build customer loyalty for Center Cable Systems.
Career Objectives for Sales
- Passionate Sales representative seeking to improve sales figures for Azult Medical. With a strong background in relationship building and customer engagement, I have part-time work experience as a sales rep for Fluid Kayaks for three years.
Career Objectives for Call Center
- Enthusiastic and passionate call center agent with customer service and communicative skills seeking for a position at SpeedyCollect. Having provided excellent customer satisfaction both in person and on the phone, I have received 5 accolades from customers as well as managers
Technic al Resume Objectives
Career Objectives for Information Technology
- Diligent Manager with 8+ years experience with a large cloud services agency. Seeking to further IT career as a Department Manager at Aptive by leveraging my statistical, managerial and communicative skills.
Career Objectives for Artificial Intelligence
- Dedicated and competent AI Programmer with 8+ years of experience in designing and developing gaming applications. Possess first hand experience in writing codes and building complicated neural networks. Aiming to emerge as a Machine Learning Programmer to build and manage associated projects.
for Data Science
- Highly-motivated, passionate and certified Scientific Programmer with over 5 years of experience in developing, maintaining, and upgrading versions of software used for scientific research. Possess a strong background of mathematics and statistics and looking to emerge as a Junior Data Scientist.
Writing the perfect career objective can be more stressful than it seems, but a composed mind with a basic understanding of your strengths and ambitions will do the job.
Explore all the free courses at Great Learning Academy, get the certificates for free and learn in demand skills.1