By the end of 2020, the US will have 2.7 million data science positions, claims a study by IBM. With the speed at which the data is being generated around us, knowledge of technologies that study and analyze data has become a critical part of the way companies function today. Today, data is being utilized efficiently to develop strategies and activities that benefit the business in several areas.
A lot of enthusiasts who want to enter this domain or professionals who want to upskill themselves are on a constant lookout for data science Bootcamps. We have tried to answer some of their common questions around data science Bootcamps, like – What exactly are data science Bootcamps? Are they worth enrolling? What things should you keep in mind while selecting a data science Bootcamp?, and many others.
What is a data science Bootcamp?
Bootcamp is an educational program that offers insights on the topic of interest in a short period. When it comes to a data science Bootcamp; as the name suggests, it packs all the important data science skills and technologies in a short program that lasts from anywhere between 6 weeks to 24 months.
Data science Bootcamp delivers intensive learning in a shorter period. Because of this, the focus is on skills and technologies that are highly relevant for the applicant to land a job once the Bootcamp is over. This is one of the reasons why boot camps are preferred by working professionals who want to upgrade themselves and even students who have just graduated.
Are data science Bootcamps worth it?
Now, this is one question that plays on everyone’s minds as they get to know about a data science Bootcamp. And yes, it is a fair question. When you are investing your time, money, and putting efforts into learning something, you want to be rest assured that you will get a higher value out of it. You are even right in questioning if this can help you land a job in this field.
Let us explore these questions one by one.
While data science Bootcamps may or may not work for everyone, but if you have some general background in mathematics and coding, coupled with the right attitude to learn, then they are for you. Also, you need to pay a high amount of importance to the fact that there are multiple data science Bootcamps online. Thus, what matters is which Bootcamp you choose. This will be a deciding factor in shaping your learning experience as the right Bootcamp will give you quality content, along with a credible brand name, and ensure that you get the right balance between learning and growth.
When it comes to landing a job after completing your program, the point that which brand you choose from is reiterated. If you take up a data science Bootcamp program from a renowned university, you’ll get ample networking opportunities with leading professionals in the same field. This can help you land a job in the data science domain.
What are the things to look for when selecting a data science Bootcamp?
As you are all set to finalize a data science Bootcamp amongst many others, there are several factors that you need to keep in mind.
Here, we have listed the 14 things to look for when selecting a Bootcamp:
- Budget – Prices of data science Bootcamps vary, so you should assess your finances and find the right fit for yourself. There are many data science Bootcamps that provide instalment facilities as well. Make sure to have a thorough understanding of the payment procedure and instalment details before signing up for a Bootcamp.
- Career goals – What is that you aim to do with this Bootcamp? Answer this question while considering a data science Bootcamp. If you are a graduate looking to begin a data science career immediately after the Bootcamp’s completion or a working professional who wants to upskill, your career goals should align with the Bootcamp’s offerings.
- Job Skills Requirement – Keep a close eye on job portals and have a look at their job descriptions. There, you’ll get an understanding of what skills are in demand for which data science role. You can check and match it with the data science Bootcamps of your interest to get the maximum benefit out of it.
- Prerequisites – Data Science is a vast field. Before getting into a Bootcamp, you need to ensure that you know math and coding as many Bootcamps take it for granted that you have an understanding of these. Please verify any such specific requirements before signing up.
- Testimonials – Many data science Bootcamp websites show testimonials by previous attendees. This will give you a clear insight into the Bootcamp structure and its functioning. You can also check for reviews of the programs of your interest on Quora or Reddit. Ask these individuals about the coursework, instructors, job, and career support after program completion.
- Batch Size – Learning in a group is a dynamic process and keeps you on your toes. However, a large batch size that too for an online data science Bootcamp can be a bummer. Thus, clarify the number of students in the cohort to ensure a smooth and interactive learning experience.
- Your Schedule – Different data science Bootcamps offer their classes in different formats: weekly, daily or so. If you are a student or a working professional, you need to see if your schedule matches with the Bootcamps’ delivery process. You do not want to enrol in a data science Bootcamp which clashes with your daily schedule as it will only hamper the process of learning.
What is MIT’s Applied Data Science Bootcamp?
90% of the world’s data has been created in just the last few years. This availability of excess data has enabled organizations to extract powerful insights to drive smarter business decisions. To help uncover the true value of data, MIT Institute for Data, Systems, and Society (IDSS) Faculty has created the Applied Data Science Bootcamp for future-focused professionals looking to harness data in new and innovative ways.
It is a 12-weeks long data science Bootcamp that will take your data analytics skills to the next level. Its prerequisites involve basic knowledge of computer programming and statistics. The curriculum covers the theory and practices behind supervised and unsupervised learning, time series analysis, recommendation engines, regressions, neural networks, computer vision and natural language processing. By the end of the course, you’ll be able to understand the intricacies of data science techniques and their applications to real-world problems. You’ll also develop strong foundations in Python, math, and statistics for data science. For detailed information regarding its curriculum, check the program page here.
With a fee of USD 2,600, this program allows you to learn from award-winning MIT IDSS faculty via live virtual sessions, from the convenience of your home. You’ll also get to demonstrate your data science leadership by building a portfolio of industry-relevant hands-on projects, including a 3-week long capstone project. At the end of the course, you will receive a digital certificate from MIT IDSS.
This program is for working professionals who are interested in a career in data science and machine learning or leading the initiatives in this domain at their companies. It is also an excellent choice for entrepreneurs who want to enter the world of innovation using data science and machine learning.
One thing that sets this data science Bootcamp apart is the ‘Great Learning’ benefit associated with it. As you get to learn from MIT IDSS faculty, you also get live mentorship from industry experts on the applications of concepts taught by faculty in small groups. The presence of mentored learning in small groups will also give you ample networking opportunities. You’ll also get access to the Program Manager, who will be your single point of contact for all academic and non-academic queries in the program. This will ensure that you are not left alone while navigating through the Bootcamp. They will help you in your learning journey, give you personalized feedback, and the required nudges to ensure your success.
What career paths are available for data science Bootcampers?
Data science covers a broad spectrum – from financial organizations to the IT sector, governments to NGOs, all are making the use of data. This shows how the demand for data science-based roles is constantly on a rise in the present times.
Here are some common jobs you can land after you complete a program:
- Data Engineer
- Machine Learning Engineer
- Data Scientist
- Decision Scientist
- Data Analyst
- Big Data Analytics Consultant
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Financial Analyst
In this article we discussed the things you need to check before opting for a data science bootcamp. We suggest that you begin with MIT’s Applied Data Science Bootcamp and experience the best quality content along with Great Learning’s premium service.
Click here to apply now and become a data-driven decision-maker.
Let us know in the comments section what other points do you look forward to while selecting a data science Bootcamp. We’ll be happy to hear from you.