- What is Digital Marketing?
- Digital Marketing Career Opportunities
- Ways to build a successful Digital Marketing career
We live in a world where the Internet is used for everything, whether buying groceries online, paying electricity bills, registering for official documents or even playing any online game. This accrescent popularity of the internet has created an opportunity for companies to expand their businesses online. The traditional brick and mortar stores are now expanding their businesses on online platforms to have the advantage of it. This transition from offline to online business has created a need for digital marketing. That is why the digital marketing career options in India have widened in the past few years.
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital Marketing is basically Internet Marketing in which the goods and services are promoted and sold through online marketing strategies that include email marketing, social media marketing, Search Engine Optimization, content marketing and more.
Also Read: Types of Digital Marketing You Should Know
Digital Marketing Career Opportunities
Digital marketing is one of the fastest emerging fields globally. Look around, and you will find someone or the other promoting their services and products on social media and search engines. The impact is so much that employers across domains seek to hire both in-house and third-party digital marketers to grow their businesses. The kind of Job opportunities provided by the digital marketing industry is alluring to a lot of young professionals to be a part of this industry. Popular job profiles like Digital marketing executive, Digital marketing specialist, content specialist, digital marketing analyst and many more are offered by the digital marketing agencies and companies using digital platforms. According to ClickThrough Marketing, the demand for Digital Marketing talent is 59%, whereas the active supply of the talent is 19%, creating a skill gap. This gap creates an opportunity for all those seeking to start a career in the digital marketing domain.
It can be hard to figure out how to start a digital marketing career and build a rewarding career. Through this article, I will suggest a few tips on how to begin your digital marketing career in a way that will provide you with a competitive edge in comparison to other aspirants.
Ways to build a successful Digital Marketing career
1. Learn the basics to test if Digital Marketing is the right fit for you
You can always find the basic digital marketing terminology available online via blog posts, digital marketing forums, social media, YouTube, etc. It is a good idea to go through some of this content to get a sense of whether or not you find these concepts exciting and see yourself feeling genuinely motivated to take it up as a career for yourself. The more passionate you are about digital marketing, the more you are likely to create innovative campaigns and strategies for your future clients to build a rewarding career in digital marketing. One should also do an analysis of what all skills are required to build a good digital marketing career. Some of the essential skills are technical skills, Creativity, Communication skills, Passion for learning, and more.
2. Invest in an online Certification course
Once you feel that yes, digital marketing is something that drives you, the next step will be to apply for a course in digital marketing to establish your foundational knowledge in this field. Free online resources may help you understand just the very basics, but there is nothing like taking a formal course in digital marketing to set yourself apart as a professional. It will give you the required expertise and industry knowledge required to build a successful digital marketing career for yourself. Great Learning offers an extensive Post Graduation Program in Strategic Digital Marketing in collaboration with Great Lakes Executive Learning that you can learn more about here. It will help you set yourself apart from amateurs in the field of Digital Marketing, and the knowledge that comes with a formal course also reflects in how you can maintain your success with digital marketing campaigns over time.
In a career like digital marketing, effective networking is crucial to make connections in the industry and across domains. It helps to connect with other digital marketing professionals to stay on top of industry trends as they change. Networking across different domains will ensure you get access to digital marketing opportunities in different industries. Networking opportunities could arise via LinkedIn, digital marketing forums, or even the certification course that you sign up for with your other peers. Networking opportunities could arise via:
- LinkedIn: You can connect to a large pool of professionals on LinkedIn who can get you into digital marketing jobs or can at least arrange interviews for you.
- Digital marketing forums: You can join one or more digital marketing forums running on the Internet. Some of India’s top digital marketing forums are Hell Bound Bloggers, Black Hat World, Blogger Jet, and many more.
- Facebook groups: Search Facebook groups of interest and join them for the latest updates and more discussions on digital marketing.
- Twitter Job Postings: You can access the Twitter job postings and have quick conversations on the platform regarding the area of your interest.
- Join a certification/ degree course: The certification or degree course which you sign up helps you in getting connected with your other peers. This is one of the key benefits of joining an online digital marketing course, which lets you meet peers who are in the same boat as you are. You can learn with them, plan your career with them or grow your network for future opportunities.
4. Build your portfolio
At the start of your digital marketing career, building and sharing a portfolio is important in addition to your qualifications while applying for jobs and projects. You can diversify the kind of projects in your portfolio according to the kind of digital marketing career trajectory you want. You may seek to find your niche within a specific industry or to specialise in a particular digital marketing strategy across different industries. You can start building your digital marketing portfolio while you achieve your qualifications in the field. This could look like freelancing on the side, starting with small projects for your existing network, an internship, or even setting up your website to get started while you are enrolled in a certification course. An attractive and professionally built digital marketing portfolio can help get good jobs as it shows a lot of flexibility and professionalism in the candidate. Here is how you can build your digital marketing portfolio:
Let people know your story: Your portfolio should showcase you as a unique professional on the basis of your experiences, skills and the type of work you have done before. There are tools available that help in building a visually impressive portfolio for you.
Plan out mock projects: This is the best way to practice your digital marketing knowledge and skills. Mock projects offer you the experience of being on real projects where you get to show your skills. You can use your own social media accounts for practice to build a flow and optimize your own site to generate SEO results. This would really build up the confidence in you to move ahead in your professional career.
Support your friends or Acquaintances: If you have any friends or acquaintances who need help in digital marketing, you can offer your help in doing so. You can work for free or at very low charges in the beginning as you are doing this just to gain experience and build a portfolio. Who knows, doing this might motivate you to start as a freelancer.
Use stats or Results: While adding up any of your work in the portfolio, focus on the results of the digital marketing work you have done. It shows the growth your work has provided to the business.
Rely on Testimonials: You can ask your peers who’re your clients to write testimonials for you. This helps in building authenticity to your digital marketing portfolio.
5. Understanding analytics
The principal component of launching a digital marketing campaign is to judge how it affects the traffic towards your website or sales towards your product. Someone with a successful digital marketing career needs to be very comfortable with understanding social media metrics and Google Analytics. Further, to track your SEO results, you can use tools such as SEMrush and HubSpot that helps you see the number of viewers your campaign got and the way they interacted with the links presented. To sustain a successful career in digital marketing, it is essential to know how to track the right numbers that will help you improve future campaigns for the best results. You can also add it to your Digital marketing portfolio to showcase your skills in analytics.
For learning Analytics, you must have hands-on experience. This practical experience can be gained by joining the PG Program in Strategic Digital marketing.
Read More: Digital Marketing Tools for 2020
6. Work on Projects with Different Types of Clients to Find your Niche
To start a successful digital marketing career, you should have thorough knowledge about the marketing tools like email marketing tools, social media management tools, SEO Research tools, URL builders and more.
- Email Marketing Tools: Email marketing is one of those methods you will definitely use in your digital marketing career. There are tools like Mailchimp, Convertkit and Sendinblue which provide you with different features to have a well-built email marketing strategy.
Also Read: Top 13 Email Marketing Tools in the Industry
- Social media Management: The tools like Hootsuite or Buffer are used to schedule social media strategy for your business. You should have sound knowledge about social media management to run digital marketing campaigns.
- Search Engine Optimization tools: Learn using SEO tools like Moz or SEMrush on their free trials and explore their features. One should be aware of how these tools work.
URL builders: You should be aware of building URLs so that the campaigns can be monitored. There are free tools available for that purpose. You can check out this tool to try building URLs. This tool is available for free.
7. Work on Projects with Different Types of Clients to Find your Niche
As briefly mentioned above, you can choose to work as an in-house digital marketer with a particular organisation or independently with projects about different industries. However, make sure that this is a conscious decision that you are taking for your long-term digital marketing career. It is something that you can figure out by trying different options as you start your career in digital marketing.
8. Always keep learning to stay up-to-date on trends
Digital Marketing, as a field, has recently emerged as compared to traditional marketing. More jobs are adding to this field across all domains, and the value of the industry is growing in a rapidly digitising environment. A crucial aspect of a successful digital marketing career is to learn and stay updated with industry trends. Every new digital marketing campaign reveals something new about consumer behaviour. And this new information is crucial for digital marketers to incorporate into their work to keep achieving targets. A rewarding career in digital marketing combines passion, theoretical knowledge, an industry network and innovation with research.
9. Practice for common digital Marketing Interview Questions
Before appearing for the job interview, these common digital marketing interview questions should be prepared to enhance your chances of getting selected for a job:
- Explain Digital Marketing
- What do you mean by SEO?
- Explain the importance of keywords in Digital Marketing?
- What is the difference between off-page SEO and on-page SEO?
- Have you used any of the Digital Marketing tools?
- How can you measure the success of Digital Marketing?
- What are negative keywords?
- Why do you want to be a part of the Digital Marketing industry?
- Have you worked for any brand before?
- Do you know how to calculate CTR?
- How will you measure the ROI of any channel used by you?
- How will you create a digital marketing plan?
Make sure to showcase your skills and how you can help businesses to generate more profits. The portfolio should be clear and unique, which can create value for you. If you find this intriguing and wish to learn more about this domain, upskill with Great Learning’s PGP – Strategic Digital Marketing today! Please share your thoughts, comments and insights in reaction to the information in this blog below in the comments section.3