Until the last decade, digital marketing was something that was almost unheard of. Almost all companies were satisfied with traditional marketing channels and did not see the reason to change. A fresh college graduate would have never thought about building a career in digital marketing.
However, standing in 2020, the scenario looks remarkably different. Digital marketing is not anymore a luxury or a ‘nice to have’ option but is a mandate for businesses that want to keep up with the competition. With the evolution of technologies, digitization, and rapidly changing market dynamics, digital marketing is the only way forward to reach their audiences.
Today’s market is content-driven, and people believe more in what others are saying about a product rather than believing in traditional marketing gimmicks produced by televisions and newspapers. With this shift in marketing strategy and industry outlook, digital marketers are now in high demand, and if you know how to do it the right way, there is no dearth of career opportunities for you.
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing can be referred to as online marketing that makes use of electronic devices like mobile phones, laptops and tablets to reach target audiences. Digital marketing is an umbrella that includes different online strategies of marketing, including social media marketing, search engine marketing, Search engine optimization, email marketing, content marketing, influencer marketing and much more.
With the increase in the use of digital marketing, the demand for highly skilled digital marketing professionals also has risen. So, let us understand why pursue a career in digital marketing?
Why Digital Marketing is a good career?
Digital marketing is a growing industry, and the opportunities are endless if you are willing to learn and upskill yourself. These are few reasons why digital marketing is a good career option:
- The demand-supply gap: Digital marketing skills are in good demand, and there is a wide digital skills gap in the job market. To fill that gap, more skilled digital marketing professionals are required. As a result, the demand for digital marketing professionals exceeds supply by 44% that means that you should take advantage of this high demand, as per Marketing Hiring Trends.
- Bigger budgets in digital marketing: The brands are nowadays putting more attention on digital marketing, and for that, they need highly skilled digital marketing professionals. The companies have started allocating bigger budgets for digital marketing that creates more pay and a number of career choices for digital marketing professionals.
- In-demand skill: Digital marketing skills are among the most in-demand skills of today. As a result, you can become an in-demand professional. As per the below graph, digital marketing is one of the essential skills for marketers today. According to Marketing Hiring Trends, the most in-demand expertise was digital marketing while hiring marketers in 2018.
- Scope in digital marketing: There is plenty of scope for the people who want to enter the digital marketing industry. There are more career choices across industries and technologies and is a progressive field. One can go for SEO expertise, social media marketing expertise or can become a content specialist. It all depends on personal interest, emerging technologies and career needs.
- Get a good start in your career: In the digital marketing industry, you get many opportunities to start your career and set yourself. Right from the companies like Google and Microsoft to small startups, new digital marketing professionals allow you to showcase your skills and start your career.
- Showcase your creative skills: Digital marketing jobs provide you with a room to showcase your creativity in day-to-day activities. Whether it is in writing, design or development of products and marketing or in improving customer experiences. The job does not get boring.
What are the top career options for a digital marketer?
More and more students and professionals are now more than willing to take up a career in digital marketing. Digital marketing is a vast field and you can pick up a career option that suits your interests and skills. Some of the career options for digital marketer include:
Digital Marketing Manager
It is one of the highest positions in the digital marketing field. A Digital marketing manager should have at least more than 5 years of experience in the field of digital marketing. The main responsibility of a digital marketing manager is to look after the digital marketing strategies that help drive more traffic for the business and develop digital marketing campaigns to allure more target audience.
Content marketing manager
Content is the base of all channels of digital marketing. Whether it’s a website, blog, social media posts, or any other marketing materials, it has no value without the right content. Relevant content can build a brand, drive traffic and help sell a product.
The power of content is immense and it can’t be ignored. If you have the ability to write compelling content with a thorough understanding of how digital marketing works, then making a career in content marketing can be a fulfilling one for you.
To get into this field, you should have an impeccable grip over the language with a fair understanding of SEO techniques. You would be required to work in a team and need to liaise with different stakeholders to gather inputs, understand the content trend, what format works better in each of the marketing channels, etc.
Search Engine Optimization Expert (SEO Expert)
With a mind-boggling number of websites coming up every day, there is a cut-throat competition to rank on top of Google’s search results. However, experts say that quality content with strategically used PPC can help your website grab the first spot. Hence the opportunities for SEO experts are enormous.
As an SEO expert, you need to research keywords, analyze web traffic, develop a social media strategy, content strategy, plan and organize campaigns to improve ranking. Apart from the technical skills, you can thrive better if you have leadership skills and the skill to adapt yourself quickly. The Google algorithm is constantly changing, and so you need to keep on working on new strategies.
If you’re an expert in your field with a niche and have a strong social media presence with a huge number of followers, you can become a social media influencer. As an influencer, you will promote the brand among your followers as you incorporate them in your daily life.
The role of a UX designer is critical. It is all about how a user feels when he/she is utilizing the app or website. From the look and feel to the emotional quotient, you need to engage with your customers. Graphic designers visually depict the concepts and ideas to inform and inspire the audience and illustrate business value. They create layouts and designs for communication materials such as Ads, magazines, brochures, presentations and much more.
Have you ever come across those ads at the side/bottom/top bars when you visit a website? Or Google’s sponsored search listings in the search page? That’s the job of a PPC/SEM expert. As a PPC expert, you will be generating lots of leads for the company. You will do so by managing the PPC keywords, generating reports, managing the budget for ads, splitting different ad groups alongside working with content creators for writing the ads and graphics designers for designing the landing pages. PPC experts are always in high demand because of the value they bring to the table.
A copywriter works with different professionals within the digital marketing team. If you think you can write better than what you read online/offline, you’re an ideal fit for this job category. As a copywriter, you will be helping the social media manager to write posts that should go viral or help the SEO specialist to write web content that will increase the organic traffic of the website. You will also need to write ad copies and any other content requests that the organization may have. A degree in English with lots of creativity will help you to bag a job as a copywriter. You also have the option to transition to a Content Marketing Manager role once you gather enough experience.
Social media marketing expert
With the constantly increasing popularity of social media channels, social media marketing is growing by leaps and bounds. The basic idea is to leverage different social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linked In, etc., to gain the target audience’s attention.
As a social media marketing expert, you will have to understand how each of these platforms works and how you can hook your customers to convert them to leads. Along with building the company’s brand on social media, you will also have to take care of the promotions, content and do social media ‘listening’ to monitor what people are saying about your brand. This portfolio has high responsibility, and hence you can expect a handsome salary.
How to start a career in digital marketing?
Getting a job in a high growth industry can be complex. However, the digital marketing field is a diverse one. It includes professionals with diverse skill sets who can be creatives, analysts or techies.
Once you decide to enter into the digital marketing industry, be open to more knowledge and experience. Read more and more and aim to have a broad understanding of the industry that should include and not be limited to Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Marketing, Content Marketing, Pay Per Click marketing, copywriting, web analytics and much more. Read some blogs, which will guide you to this vast industry. Here is the list of few blogs that you can consider reading:
- 8 Reasons you Should Study Digital Marketing in 2021
- Top Digital Marketing Trends in 2021
- 5 Essential Digital Marketing Skills in 2021
- What Are Google Ads and How Do They Work?
- 7 effective ways to build a rewarding career in digital marketing
- Digital Marketing Salary: How much does a Digital Marketer Earn
- Five successful digital marketing case studies that brought good results
- 23 Marketing Automation Tools You Need to Use
- Marketing Analytics Definition, Overview, Benefits | What is Marketing Analytics?
- 5 Best Practices for Email Marketing to Grow Your Business | How Does Email Marketing Work?
- Top 7 Digital Marketing Books for Beginners in 2021
You can also start freelancing your services as a digital marketer, content writer or as another role. Start writing your blogs, create social media posts, write text for ads and learn keyword research.
You can also take an internship in one of the startups or marketing agencies to learn actual industry work. Last but not least, get a job and learn on the job. This would help you a lot in building a rewarding career in digital marketing.
The good part is, unlike other industries or job roles; you do not need any formal qualification or degree in order to start your career in digital marketing. All you need is your interest, knowledge, talent and skills to learn and build a career in the field.
However, if you take up a digital marketing course or a degree in digital marketing in India, it would be an add-on to your resume. You can check out online digital marketing programs that are career-focused and help you get a job in the top companies.